Pregnant. Have short femur and humerus. What are the chances of having a baby normally?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hi. I am 37 weeks pregnant. My baby is breeched. I had an ultrasound to check this and discovered that the baby was definitely breeched. They also found that the femur and humerous were too short-in the 5th percentile. All the other measurements are normal. I had an amnio at 18 weeks but it came back negative. My whole pregnancy has been really easy with no problems, until now.
What are the chances of my baby being normal with no problems even if it has short femur and humerus? What treated is available? Im very worried and would love an honest answer from you. I have to go have another ultrasound but can't wait for an answer from that.

Thanks Kindly
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 43 minutes later
Hi Dear,
Welcome to HCM!
Short femur and humerus suggest some skeletal dysplasias called rhizomelic dysplasia.There are a few conditions with this manifestation.
One of them is achondoplasia.
When the baby is born ,some xrays will be taken which will point towards the diagnosis.
Some babies are otherwise normal apart from short stature.
Some may have other problems.
It depends on what is the diagnosis.
I am sure thy must have checked the other organs by ultrasound.
Treatment again depends on the diagnosis.

At 37 weeks ,we have to wait and watch.
I know how anxious you must be as a mother!
God is great.
All the best

Dr Uma

Follow-up: Pregnant. Have short femur and humerus. What are the chances of having a baby normally? 3 minutes later
Thanks. Are there treatments for this? And will the baby still look normal or have dwarf proportions?

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
As I wrote earlier it depends on what syndrome is this.
There are some bone lengthening procedures for achondroplasia to be done at a later age,etc.

How the baby will look depend on how much is the shortening.
The doctors there must have made measurements of femur length as against the normal for the gestational age.
Wonder what did they tell you reg the possibilities?

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma