Pregnant. Have nasty cough, sore throat and nasal congestion. Not cured by rubitussin. Safe remedy?

Jan 2013

38w4d pregnant and have a nasty coughHello...

I am 38w4d pregnant and have had a
9congested cough for 3 days but I am coughing up little to no sputum. I was told i could take Robitussin for the cough but it isn't helping. I also have a sore throat and slight nasal congestion...most of it is in my chest. any recommendations on what i can take to get well soon?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 25 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

You are most likely suffering from Acute upper respiratory tract infection.
Most of these infections are viral in origin with possibility of secondary bacterial infection.
As you are pregnant, you can't take each & every medication.
Although teratogenic effect of any medication in 38th week is very least as the fetus is already developed, still you should take safe medicines.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
You should take complete antibiotic course (Amoxycillin is safe), decongestants and throat soothing medicines (Lozenges).
You should also go for natural therapies apart from medicines.
You should perform gargles three times in day: lukewarm water with pinch of salt.
You should also take hot soups also.
Avoid cold drinks, oily and sour foods.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava