Pregnant. Have minor bruises on hips and hands due to a fall. No accumulation of blood inside. Taking folic acid. Suggest?

Mar 2016

My wife is10 weeks pregnant. Unfortunately she slipped in washroom on 2nd August and got some minor bruises on hips and hand. After that she noticed mild blood strains in her inner wear, Hence on 3rd August we went to see a Gynecologist. Doctor did the sonography and found that there is no accumulation of blood inside. And she told that everything is normal. But again on 5th August she noticed some blood strains in her inner wear. She contacted the same Doctor and she advised her complete bed rest and prescribed her to take dulphaston(Twice a day) tablet and progestrone(once a day) tablet, Also she is taking Folic acid tablets. She is taking this medication for last 3 days but unfortunately daily she notices small blood strain/tiny tissue, though it happens only once or twice in a day. Please advise. If required you can talk to my wife directly on this no. +0000
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 25 hours later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

Mild bleeding or spotting in early week pregnancy (specially in the first trimester) is quite common in most women. However, your wife gets it following slipped in washroom. But, first ultrasound scan (on 3rd August) was normal.

Here, we need to rule out Subchorionic Hematoma (between chorion and uterine wall) as there is blunt trauma in history. It can cause intermittent vaginal bleeding in the first trimester. However, most patient remains asymptomatic with small hematoma and few are present with threatened miscarriage. Most of them regress naturally. No therapeutic intervention is available for the same.

At this stage, I suggest her to repeat Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) to rule out underlying etiology (if any) & reveal detailed picture of fetal well being. She needs to continue all prescribed medication as per her doctor's recommendation. It helps to support pregnancy & prevents possible miscarriage.

She must follow these advice strictly:

1) Avoid heavy work/ long journey/ lifting heavy objects/ high heal shoe/ walking on uneven surface/ more ups & downs etc.

2) Take complete bed rest till the problem is resolved. Non-prescribed medication should be avoided.

3) Take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet and drink more water for better feto-placental circulation. Maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and successful journey of pregnancy.

Dr Soumen