Pregnant. Have kidney stone. Blood test done for serum creatinine levels. Is this in normal range?

I am 26 weeks pregnant and I noticed on my last 2 blood tests that my creatinine is 46 UMOL/L while the reference range is 60-115 UMOL/L. My endocrinologist does the blood test so he says this is actually a good result - it means I have efficient kidneys. Since he is not a specialist in that area and since I am pregnant I wanted to double check that with a specialist.
I also have two kidney stones 0.3cm and 0.5cm in my right kidney but they do not hurt. I am not sure if the low creatinine result has anything to do with that.
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 4 hours later

I would say that you are a very keen observer.

But there is nothing to worry at all. Your serum creatinine levels are absolutely normal.

During pregnancy the renal blood flow and plasma flow increases by about 30 to 50%. That amounts to more sufficient working.

Normal range changes and in pregnancy. Serum creatinine upto 70 is normal in pregnancy (not upto 115).

So rest assured.
Nothing is to be done for the stones at present.

Hope this helps,

Follow-up: Pregnant. Have kidney stone. Blood test done for serum creatinine levels. Is this in normal range? 51 minutes later
Thanks Doctor, great to know.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 2 hours later
You are welcome.

Thanks for using this service.

Best wishes for your kid.