Pregnant. Have hashimoto. Taking medicine for TSH level. What are the risks on the unborn baby?

I'm 17-week pregnant. I have Hashimoto. I've used medication for six years, so my TSH level were between 0.5 and 1.0. My medication was 150 mg for 5 days a week and 100 mg. for 2 days a week. But in my 5th week, my endocrinologist want me to lower my medication (as 100 mg 5 days and 150 mg. 2 days), because he wanted to keep THS level between 1 and 2. He wanted to see me 6 weeks later. I took the test again. My TSH level was 7.03. I took 150 mg following 3 days and I saw him. He wanted me to re-take the test. Then, the results was 4.82. He wanted me to increase the medication as 150 per day and wanted me to see him 6 weeks later. Now I took the test again 2 days ago (in 17th week), and TSH level is 6.12. He wanted me to increase the dose to 200 mg. Today, I took 200 mg.
Today, my OB said my baby could be harmed beacuse of elevated TSH level. My endocrinologist says it is not possible in this situation. I know that TSH level is very important in pregnancy, especially during the first trimester. My TSH has been high since the beginning of the second month. I'm in panic now. What are the risks for my baby? Do you think her brain development was affected by it? What is the possibility?
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

It is true that "subclinical hypothyroidism" can have an affect on fetal development and this is not limited to the first trimester. This refers to patients with elevated TSH levels and not on medications (and without any symptoms).

In your case, your thyroid control is not that bad. The TSH was either normal or slightly above normal. But I would not consider this to be bad control and I certainly do not think that any harm has been done that would be "measurable".

One thing that I would say is that simplifying this as much as possible would be ideal. You should be on the same dose daily, and they need to measure TSH AND Free T4 levels during pregnancy. TSH is not reliable alone as an indicator of thyroid control in pregnancy. Also, the labs should be checked every 6 weeks. Adjustments in the medication dose should then be made and the levels rechecked 6 weeks later, and so on.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have followup questions!
Follow-up: Pregnant. Have hashimoto. Taking medicine for TSH level. What are the risks on the unborn baby? 11 hours later
Thank you very much. You've been very helpful.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
It is my pleasure - If you have more questions, please aks. Also, remember to leave feedback!