Pregnant. Have had clear liquid coming out of ear. Which specialist should I consult?

Neurologist, Surgical
cerebral spinal fluidI have had clear liquid coming out of my ear since 2004 when I had a severe car accident and I went face first through the windshield I have expressed the doctors about this and I keep giving me antibiotics for infection but tell me they cannot see anything wrong with my ears over the years I have been having MS symptoms and I'm just now learning about CSf I am very scared because I'm 8 weeks pregnant and I have a lot of problems I cannot explain to you what my brain goes through and what it feels like I have severe pressure in my head behind my ears all around my head severe headaches severe pain and sometimes burning around my eyes and spine pain sometimes I cannot walk very well I recently just had emergency surgery and they gave me a spinal since I was pregnant could not be put to sleep I have had a lot of problem since then I am losing my memory and I am also losing my hearing I do not have a doctor I live in XXXXXXX County and I don't know how to tell in the ER without sounding crazy and them telling me Its anxiety like most doctors in my past have told me recently I've been put on Tegra tall and klonapin but before I was put on any medication my skull felt like it was breaking and I was having severe pressure in my head neck and spine I really don't know what to do or how to go about this or how about getting a doctor to take me seriously or who to contact is there anyway you can help is there any way they can do a test well I am 8 weeks pregnant
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 9 hours later
Dear Friend,

It is very unusual for CSF otorrhoea to persist for long but if it is persisting it would be better that you go for MR cisternography to detect site of leak.

If discharge is profuse you can also collect it and send it for lab examination. Your symptoms of headache could be because of intracranial hypotension due to excessive CSF leakage.

If you are pregnant tegretol should be avoided, kindly consult your neurosurgeon for changing the drugs.

Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Dr Vineet
Follow-up: Pregnant. Have had clear liquid coming out of ear. Which specialist should I consult? 2 days later
Can I use a q tip to collect the sample?
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 3 hours later
Dear Friend

No, it cannot be used to collect the sample you are required to collect in a glass test tube during the time when discharge is abundant.

Dr. Vineet Saggar (MCh)
Neuro Surgeon / Spinal Surgeon
Chandigarh, Mohali -
Ivy Hospital Sector 71