Pregnant. Have got severe swelling on feet. How to reduce this swelling?

Excellent
Question
I am 7 months pregenant. I have got severe swelling on my feets and my shoe size has increase by 2 nos. Can you please suggest what can i do to reduce this swelling
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query on health care magic.

Swelling is quite common during pregnancy. It's also quite normal, especially in the last trimester. However if it is severe, special precautions need to be taken.

Here are few suggestions:
1. First of all check your blood pressure. It should be below 120/80 mm of mercury.
2. Have a salt restricted diet. That means, no pickles, no papads, no carbonated drink, noodles and pasta. Eat only fresh home prepared food.
3. Always keep your feet elevated. You can keep two pillows below feet while sleeping.
4. Immerse your feet in a tub with XXXXXXX warm water and salt. It will give soothing sensation.

Some amount of swelling is normal. Infact, it shows your body is responding normally to physiological changes of pregnancy. So do not worry. Enjoy your pregnancy.

Kindly provide me some more information regarding:
1. What was your last blood pressure?
2. Do you have family history(mother) of high blood pressure during pregnancy?
3. Is your baby growing properly?
4. Do you have symptoms of blurring of vision and headache?

Waiting for your reply.
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Pregnant. Have got severe swelling on feet. How to reduce this swelling? 43 minutes later
Hello Dr. Nilofer,

My response to you questions:-

1. What was your last blood pressure?
120/80

My mom has blood pressure and diabetes

3. Is your baby growing properly?
I did the sonography and go for regular check up too.. And doctor informed me that the baby is fine...I also feel the baby's movement on my tummy, in form of butterflies fluttering..

No such problem of vision or headache

I eat only home cooked food with very or as good as no salt. Papd, pickle, oily, chinese noodles all these stuff are restricted to me since I got pregenant

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the reply.

Good that your blood pressure is normal. I appreciate that you are strictly following your diet.

As long as you do not have symptoms of headache, epigastric pain and blurring of vision, you need not worry about swelling of leg. This is one of the physiological response of body to pregnancy.
However you can reduce the swelling by never letting down your feet while sitting. And keep your feet elevated while sleeping. Swelling will gradually reduce in a weeks time.
Do enjoy your pregnancy and always be happy and stress free.
Feel free to ask for further clarification. I will be happy to help.

Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Pregnant. Have got severe swelling on feet. How to reduce this swelling? 10 minutes later
Thank you Doctor :)

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 8 minutes later
Wish you Good luck and my good wishes with you.
regards,
Dr nilofer