Pregnant. Have fluid in eardrum. What can i take instead of benedryl?

ENT Specialist
I am 23 weeks and 1 day pregnant. My CNM told me i have fluid on left eardrum and that's why I can barely hear out of it. She said I should take antihistamine like Benedryl but it hasnt been working. what can i take to alleviate this problem? Ive also had issues with dizzines since Ive had the problem with my ear.
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 hours later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms mentioned by you are the features of otitis media (middle ear infection). Most of the drugs used in the treatment of this condition are contraindicated during pregnancy. Hence the options to treat this problem are very limited.

First of all, stop using Benadryl. Benadryl causes thickening of the middle ear secretions, thus worsening your problems.

Your dizziness could be either related to the medicine Benadryl or reduced oxygen supply to the brain following nasal congestion and block.

My suggestions to you are:
1. To drink plenty of warm water - this keeps the mucosa moist and facilitates easy clearing of the thick secretions from the ear, nose and the throat.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day. Both of these procedures will reduce the mucosal congestion, opens up the Eustachian tube and clears off the middle ear secretions.
3. Avoid coffee/chilled food & beverages/sleeping under the fan or in front of the A/C blower.
4. Try taking an antibiotic if the upper respiratory tract infection is of more than 3 - 4 days in duration.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon