Pregnant. Have cold mouth ulcers. Is it safe to take echinacea?

Hello! I'm 32 weeks pregnant and I've been struggling with a cold mouth ulcers for almost a month now. My midwife told me it is safe to take echinacea for 3 days. The last two days I took the highest dosage of a product called esberitox supercharged echinacea. I didn't realize that there are herbs (thuja occidentalis)added to this that are considered to be unsafe during pregnant. I'm very worried about this. Do you have any advise or more insight in this topic? Thank you very much. XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Echinacea isnt recommended in pregnancy and lactation based on the fact that there arent enough data in the form of studies and trials that can rule out possible side effects.
Now at 32 weeks,its unlikely that there will be any developmental problems. But you need to be careful and watchful for the next couple of weeks. Any sign of fetal distress should be reported to your doctor immediately. Since you have already taken the herb nothing can be done now. Regular monitoring is necessary.