Pregnant. Have bicornuate uterus and started spotting. Will this cause any harm to a fetus?

Question
I am 5 weeks and 4 days pregnant. Have some very very light brown/pinkish discharge for a week now. Had a scan that shows irregular gastational sac (11mm) with normal yolk sac and HCG normal and doubling. Also I have a bicornuate uterus. Why is there irregularity and is there a chance that irregularity will revert to normal and I'll have a healthy child?
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 46 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

With a single uterus, spotting in early pregnancy could mean an implantation bleed, small leak inside the sac, a threatened abortion or a missed abortion. With a bicornuate uterus, it could still be all these in addition to bleeding or spotting from the non-pregnant horn.

Irregular gestational sac in an ultrasound can have several reasons-failed pregnancy, a vanishing twin pregnancy pressing on the existing one, improper formation of placental tissues pressing on the sac or a resolution failure. A repeat sonogram usually reveals a regular sac in many instances.

As the size of the sac correlates to your period of pregnancy and as the yolk sac is also seen in addition, you have a positive chance of a healthy pregnancy; to support this you also have doubling good hCG levels. Your doctor should also be able to visualize the fetal cardiac activity by now, but, it may sometimes take a few days more to be seen properly.

With sonogram, your doctor should be able to locate the source of your spotting. If needed, you may take hormonal supplements to control the spotting. In addition, abstain from all strenuous activity, avoid intercourse and take rest until the spotting subsides.

Bicornuate uterus does not cause early pregnancy complications. It tends to cause cervical incompetence and preterm labor and with proper care, term pregnancies are possible. The incidence of difficulty is also dependent on the amount of defect present.

I hope I have clarified your doubts. If you have any further queries, please feel free to ask. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Have bicornuate uterus and started spotting. Will this cause any harm to a fetus? 2 days later
My discharge is been brown/pinkish on one day less the next day for two weeks continuing. I am now 6 weeks and 3 days pregnant with somewhat increasing pregnancy symptoms and doubling hcg. Why am I still having this discharge? Where is if coming from and is it harming my baby?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

As I said earlier, the spotting could be coming from either the non-pregnant horn of your uterus or from a leak in the sac. It can be deciphered for sure only with a high resolution sonogram.

As the pregnancy seems to be advancing in a positive note, you should be able to locate the fetal cardiac activity also. This, correlated with the serial beta-hCG values act as a monitor of the progress of your pregnancy.

Minor leaks arrest spontaneously many-a-time and the pregnancy continues uneventfully, so do not get over-stressed and be positive. Your obstetrician may prescribe hormonal supplementation after confirming that the pregnancy is progressing well.

Avoid stress, eat healthy and take adequate rest.

Hope I have made it clear. If you have any further queries, please feel free and ask. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Have bicornuate uterus and started spotting. Will this cause any harm to a fetus? 25 minutes later
Do you not think that there is a possibility that the brown discharge is coming from externally, ie broken capillaries on the outside of the cervix or similar? By the way, I am taking progesterone (cyclogest) pessaries already.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 17 minutes later

Yes, it is possible that the spotting could be coming from the cervix or the vagina as a consequence of infection or erosion. In that case, the site of bleeding can be localized on inserting a speculum and the bleeding would be mostly fresh and precipitated mostly after intercourse. As your obstetrician makes a local examination, this can be excluded. Brownish discharge is usually altered old blood that indicates an old bleeding (there is the possibility that the hemorrhage could have arrested and the residual blood is draining out).

Watchful expectancy is the only timely management that can be done now, with serial hCG titre and serial sonograms.

I hope I have clarified all your doubts. If there are no further queries, please close this discussion and rate this answer.

Wish you safe motherhood.

regards,
Shanti.V.