Pregnant. Have been having brown discharge due to chronic hematoma. Underlying cause?

Mar 2016

Im 35 and 7 weeks pregnant. Ive been having brown discharge due to a Sub chorionic hematoma that my OB told me about yesterday. I do have a heart beat also. Is the brown discharge a sign that the hematoma is old and dissolving?
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

Subchorionic Hematoma (SCH) is the most common type hematoma in early weeks of pregnancy and it is located in between chorion and endometrium. It is also a common cause of first trimester bleeding. Here, brown discharge may indicate a sign of old blood and regression of hematoma. However, you must repeat the ultrasound scan at 1-2 weeks interval to evaluate the prognosis and overall fetal well being.

Current statistics shows that chance of pregnancy loss or miscarriage is near about 1-3% with SCH and mostly associated with large hematoma. Most of them resolve within 20 weeks of gestational age without any further complication. But some percentage has greater risk of development of placental abruption in later months. In such case, urgent medical attention is required.

There is no useful treatment for SCH pregnancies. Wait and watch with serial ultrasound scan and avoiding strenuous activity are the key element in such case. Here, you would take folic acid & vitamin supplements, complete bed rest and maintain genital hygiene properly. Kindly, proceed follow-up visit to your OBGYN in periodic manner.

Hope, above information is quite helpful for your understanding. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and successful journey of pregnancy.

Dr Soumen