Pregnant. Has bronchial allergy. Using sereflo inhaler. Safe to go for nebulization?

My wife is in 7th week of pregnancy.
She has bronchial Allergy since the age of 18 yrs.
She is now 28 yrs old and from past few year the Allergy was not much.

She is using Sereflo inhaler but is not getting relieved.
When we reached out to the Gynea, she advised to go for Nebulization.

Is it safe to go for Nebulization, if yes how many times in a day we can do?

Also, what are the side effects of Inhalers.

Thanks & Regards
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Hi Sorabh,
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
Congrats for the good news, that your wife is expecting.

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:
1. Your wife seems to be suffering from bronchial asthma and is currently 7 weeks pregnant.
2. Asthma in pregnancy has a very unpredictable course and needs to be controlled well.
3. Initially I would suggest the change of inhaler to formoterol + budesonide (Formoflo 250) 2 puffs twice daily and as and when required.
4. Oral bronchodilators and steroids can be given in pregnancy depending on the severity of disease. However medications need to be given with caution in the 1st trimester.
5. If uncontrolled despite these then inhalers can be substituted with nebuliser.
6. Inhalers do not have any side effects. The dose of drugs in inhalers is very miniscule (in micro grams!). Your technique of using inhalers should be correct. You should take the inhalers with a spacer (Transpacer V). This reduces the co ordination required and increases the drug delivery.
7. After taking inhalers do not forget to rinse your mouth with water.
8. Also it is better to get your wife clinically evaluated by a Pulmonologist and get her treatment optimised.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra