Pregnant. Haemoglobin 11.4. Now 9.2. What can be done?

My Haemoglobin was 11.4 when i was 2 month preganant. Now haemoglobin is 9.2 (now I am 30 weeks preganant) Please advise on this.
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 4 hours later
Hi XXXXX, Thanks for using XXXXXXX

First of all I congratulate for your pregnancy.

Usually due to increase in requirement. So hemoglobin level usually reduces with the progression of Pregnancy. Now at 30 weeks of pregnancy hemoglobin level of 9.2 comes under mild anemia. This need to increase to minimum of 11 by the end of 39th week.

Please do the following to improve the hemoglobin levels.

1. Iron XXXXXXX food: This should be your main source of food. Some of the food are pomegranate, jaggery, dark green leafy vegetables, beans, beetroot, dry fruits, liver etc. These also contain other required nutrients.

2. Iron tablets: If taking once a day and comfortable, then you can take twice daily and better to be with Vit C chewable tablet or with lime juice, as it increases its absorption. Don't take with milk as it can reduce absorption.
These measures will help you.

3. At 34 weeks, repeat your Hb again (complete hemogram with iron profile), if less than 10 with microcytic hypochromic then take Orofer S (Iron sucrose) IV slow infusion under the observation of your doctor. This will increase Hb level in 10 - 14 days.

Be cool and relaxed, enjoy your pregnancy. This will also help in good development of your baby.

These will help you. Get back to me at any time you want any help. I will be happy to help you. Wish you and your baby a very good health.