Pregnant. Had stomach pain. Ultrasound showed gestational sac consistent with minor retained abruption. Chances of baby survival?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hi I am 9 weeks pregnant and had an ultrasound as I had lower stomach pains. the ultrasound came up with a diagnosis of a strong heart beat 172 beats and 9 week 5 day menstrual maturity how ever placenta posterior diagnosis was a small 10x10x17mm fluid collection was seen adjacent to the right infra-lateral margin of the gestational sac consistent with a minor retained abruption what are the chances of my baby surviving and is this the same as a placenta abruption? should I continue working as well
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 minutes later

The fluid collection you mentioned is different from placental abruption.
Abruptio placenta is a mid-trimester complication and presents with massive bleeding in placenta etc.
The fluid you mentioned is subchorionic hematoma. This can occur due to disruption of small blood vessels in the endometrium by growing gestational sac.
Small hematomas will usually get absorbed by themselves. So no need to worry.
Regular follow-ups, ultrasound examinations are need to monitor the condition of hematoma.
You can work but avoid strenuous activities, take rest in between working hours.
At-least 2 hours rest in the afternoon, 8 hours rest in the night is needed.
If this is not possible with your job you can take leave for few weeks till the hematoma gets absorbed.
Avoid intercourse and journeys.
If your doctor suggests you can go for progesterone supplements as a prophylactic measure against miscarriage.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Had stomach pain. Ultrasound showed gestational sac consistent with minor retained abruption. Chances of baby survival? 18 hours later
thankyou very much for your reply. Im still unsure if the chances of miscarriage are higher with the hematoma? I have another scan in 3 weeks time this should show wheather it has healed itself shouldn't it?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 hours later

Yes, your next scan can show the condition of hematoma by that time.
And possibly it will get absorbed by that time.
Don't worry once the hematoma gets absorbed you may not have problems related to miscarriage.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.