Pregnant. Had spotting. Suspected hemorraage. On bed rest. Started bleeding heavily. Prescribed Utrogestan progesterone. Safe?

Mar 2013
I'm living in south Korea with my husband. We are 8 weeks pregnant. I had spotting for about 10 days during week 4/5. At 6 weeks the Doctor said there was a little hemorrage around thw geestational sac. The doctor put me on bedrest for the last 2 weeks. Today I got a really big scare because I started bleeding heavier so I rushed to the doctor where they did a vaginal exam and they said the baby was ok and there was no bleeding anymore around baby.The doctor prescribed Utrogestan progesterone.what exactly is this medicine? The doctor had limited english and so he couldn't answer my questions fully. Please help!
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX
What you experienced is called a threatened miscarriage.
In this situation, there is some amount of bleeding in the tissues that support the baby.
Once the bleeding stops and gradually resolves over time, the pregnancy progresses normally.
Progesterone is the hormone which is responsible for supporting and nurturing a growing pregnancy, and often, deficiency of progesterone is responsible for bleeding, abortions, preterm labour and adverse pregnancy outcomes.
Utrogestan contains natural micronized progesterone ( closest to the natural form of the hormone present in the body ) .
It is strongly indicated to be prescribed in women with threatened abortions, bleeding in the first trimester to lessen the risk of total abortion and loss of the fetus.
It favourably influences the pregnancy outcome.
It is relatively safe drug and can be continued well into the second trimester.
It relaxes uterine contractions and minimizes risk of the bleeding progressing into a full blown abortion.
Hence, please continue taking the drug as prescribed to you.
Also, please avoid any kind of stress, exertion, intercourse, jerks and hectic travelling etc.
Make sure the baby is adequately monitored by regular ultrasound scans.
All the best.
Please feel free to ask any further follow up questions.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Had spotting. Suspected hemorraage. On bed rest. Started bleeding heavily. Prescribed Utrogestan progesterone. Safe? 1 hour later
Hi thank you very much for the infoation. I forgot to ask the doctor said to take 3 pills a day for 7 days but he didnt say if all at once or with each meal??
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Utrogestan can be taken orally or vaginally, whichever you prefer.
3 pills have to be taken divided in the whole day , that is 8 hourly.
They do not have to be taken all at once.
All the best.