Pregnant. Had sex 4 days prior periods. Could I have conceived? Had symptoms like breast tenderness, bloating and depression. Suggest

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I recently found out that I am pregnant. Based on 1st day of last period I'm about 8 weeks but I am not entirely sure. When my period was late I took 2 hpts both negative. one week later I took an other this one was positive. (unlike my previous pregnancies where I got a positive result the day my period was due.) Here's where I am really confused; each time we had sex in the last month he either didn't finish or pulled out in plenty of time. The only exception was 4 days before my period was due. Could I have conceived then? I should also mention that at that time I was already feeling symptoms of what i thought was PMS. breast tenderness, bloating, depression, etc...
My last 2 periods were early and light. (23 and 25 day cycles bleeding lasting 2-3 days as opposed to the usual 29-30 day cycle lasting 4-6 days) Could I be further along than I've calculated?
I'm so confused. I'm 35. This is my 5th pregnancy. At this point in my life I felt like I knew this stuff and my body pretty well but I'm having a hard time figuring this out.
Thnks.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 24 minutes later

Urine pregnancy test kits sometimes cannot detect the early pregnancy immediately after missing the periods. And sometimes they may take one week after the expected date to give positive result.
So that may be the reason for your first two negative tests.
And also though there was no ejaculation, sometimes pre-ejaculate fluid can contain spermatozoa.
So you once go for ultrasound.
Which will help in confirming the pregnancy and also can estimate the gestational age.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Had sex 4 days prior periods. Could I have conceived? Had symptoms like breast tenderness, bloating and depression. Suggest 31 minutes later
I had read that there is very little sperm in pre-ejaculate but it seems like there must have been just enough in this case. But just out of curiosity; Is it more likely that I became pregnant from the encounter when he didn't finish or when he withdrew?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 8 hours later
Yes, usually pre-ejaculate fluid will contain few spermatozoa. But as we know one sperm is enough to fertilize the ovum.
Generally withdrawal method will have more failure rates.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.