Pregnant. Had masturbated and had spotting. What are the chances of miscarriage or birth defect?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I am 5 1/2 weeks pregnant. Right before I found out I masturbated with the jacuzzi jet (this is so embarrassing). I know this can cause miscarriage. If I get lucky and that hasn't happened then what are the chances it will cause birth defects or brain damage? Could the water being propelled up there have reached the baby? I did have a little spotting (pink) this week. Could that be the reason? Please give me an honest answer not just what I want to hear. I really want to know the worst case scenario on damage I could have caused. Also if I have not miscarried yet and I have no signs of infection does that mean I am in the clear (it was 2 weeks ago)? I am very interested though in the birth defect or brain damage aspect, could the water have reached the baby?
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 52 minutes later
Hi
There is very less research ( but obviously !! ) on the situation you have described.
You are right, it CAN cause miscarriage.
However, if it has been 2 weeks ago, and you have no signs of infection yet, you are in the clear for all practical purposes.
The pink spotting needs to be looked into, it is common in early pregnancy, but COULD herald a miscarriage.
Only your sonogram would tell you that, schedule that at the earliest.
Regarding birth defects, go through this :
WWW.WWWW.WW
This is only with repeated use.
A single use would not cause any problems as far as birth defects go.
The baby is covered by membranes, and water would not reach it.
Repeated usage increases the core temperature leading to defects, so avoid it in future.
All the best.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Had masturbated and had spotting. What are the chances of miscarriage or birth defect? 3 days later
when you say "You are right, it CAN cause miscarriage.
However, if it has been 2 weeks ago, and you have no signs of infection yet, you are in the clear for all practical purposes" Does that mean I am probably just in the clear for infection or I am in the clear for miscarriage? I still have no infection signs and no more spotting. No spotting or cramping for 4 days now and the spotting was just a tiny bit on Wed, Thursday and just 1 dot on Friday. I do have an appointment in 2 days. Do you think they will be able to tell if I'm going to miscarry?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 minute later
Yes, a gynecological opinion and an ultrasound will tell if there is any risk for miscarriage.
What I meant was you were in the clear for both infection AND miscarriage.
ALl the best.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Had masturbated and had spotting. What are the chances of miscarriage or birth defect? 7 minutes later
Thank You so much! Enjoy your day!

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Thanks for the appreciation.
WIsh you all the best with your pregnancy.