Pregnant. Had fatigue, panic attacks, anxiety, painful joints, scalloped tongue and throat soreness. Done with thyroid tests. Will it help me?

Question
Hello, I am a 23 year old female and weigh 120 pounds. The last six months I have had fatigue, brain fog, panic attacks, lactation (no pregnancy), anxiety, constipation, painful joints, irregular periods, puffy face, scalloped tongue and mouth/ throat soreness. I found out last week that I am pregnant. I ordered a thyroid test because I have yet to be diagnosed of anything and my tsh is 4.98, t3 uptake is 23, rt3 is 30.4 and my t3 is 200. I am six weeks pregnant and waiting for my appointment. My symptoms have been debilitating and they are much worse now that I am pregnant. Would thyroid medication help me?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
? Subclinical hypothyroidism

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Your previous symptoms like lactation, irregular periods could be due to hyperprolacinemia i.e high prolactin hormone level. Sometimes hypothyroidism and hyperprolactinaemia can be interrelated.
After analyzing your lab report I feel you are having sub-clinical hypothyroidism, because your TSH is high, free T3(triiodothyronine) and free T4(thyroxine) are normal.
Fatigue, constipation, anxiety, puffy face symptoms can be due to hypothyroidism.
But regarding to take thyroxine medication or not is best to be decided by an endocrinologist.
Also get your blood pressure recorded, all routine antenatal investigations and an obstetric scan to confirm the viability.
You should also start taking folic acid tablets.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
WWW.WWWW.WW