Pregnant. Had an X-ray. Worry about radiations? Effect the baby badly?

Dear Doctor

Recently my wife got hurt in her right hand,so we took X rays of her right hand AP,LAT,OBL 3 exposures during that time she didnt wear any lead aprons, we were not aware that she in pregnant. Now it is confirmed that she is pregnant.She is one month old pregnant.

We are worrying about the radiations. Will the X rays which we took will affect the baby? because this early forming stage of baby. the amount of X rays is 2 ma itseems.

Here we need consultation that one session hand x rays will affect the baby?

Kindly give your true consultation.

thank you
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 34 minutes later

With 2milliapmere current the radiation produced would not me more than 5 rads which is not XXXXXXX and also single episode exposure do not pose any considerable risk to the growing embryo.Further on the xray exposure was not directly to the abdomen.Hence, based on overall facts I consider there is no risk and she can continue the pregnancy without worries.

If the embryo is more than 10 day old then the risk reduces considerably.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Wish you the best.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Had an X-ray. Worry about radiations? Effect the baby badly? 6 hours later
Dear Doctor

Thanks for your reply.

you say that one session of X XXXXXXX irrespective of amount of radiation current(this case X rays on Hand) during first month of pregnancy will not cause any effect to the baby.

Even if not exposed directly to the abdomen region, wont the radiations affect the Baby.

SO is it safe to continue the pregnancy. Everyone are worried that will he radiation affect the baby.

Will the baby be healthy in this case?

Kindly clarify us in this regards doctor..

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

Any radiation below 5 rads is safe and in olden days before MRI and ultrasound Xrays were indicated in pregnant women (less than 5 rads) if essential.Since after development of MRI and Ultrasound scans the Xray use is obsolete in pregnancy.

Also the risk is very high if exposure is in the beginning 15 days of conception. Later on the risk decreases over the age of pregnancy.

Yes, I would recommend continuation of the pregnancy as the exposure she had was not directly to the abdomen and of low energy.

I also strongly recommend a consultation with the gynaecologist who shall perform a ultrasound scan and ascertain the foetal well-being.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.