Pregnant. Had a gastroscopy and been treated for ulcer and gallbladder problem. Can it affect embryo?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
My niece had a gastroscopy and been treated for ? ulcer and gallbladder problem with ? blood in stools /. Yesterday had home test and discovered 2-3 weeks pregnant can this affect embryo. had anaesthesia i week ago.
My niece is 25 yrs and smoking and drinking not knowing her condition we are worried that this including the anaesthetic for gastro may have had an effect on the embryo
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Does she has acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ retrosternal burning pain/ abdominal bloating after taking meals?
What is the gall bladder problem and what medication she is taking?
What anesthetic agent has been given to her?

With the available described details, there appears to be least correlation between performance of gastroscopy and her pregnancy status, if she is not getting any problem after gastroscopy.
Your niece is presently in 1st trimester and evaluation of upper gastrointestinal tract by gastroscopy remains confined to upper abdomen while gravid uterus is situated in lower abdomen.
Gastroscopy can be performed even in 2nd and 3rd trimester, if necessary.

Basic vary is regarding use of medications as developing fetus in 1st trimester may get anomaly.
If she is in severe pain then she should go for medication and plan for termination of pregnancy as she is young.
Risk and benefits must be judged at this moment of time.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and gynecologist and should go for thorough check up.
She should also go for complete blood count, blood sugar fasting and postprandial, serum electrolytes,and thyroid profile on preliminary basis.

She should also go for urea breathe test for H. Pylori.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, she should also take proton pump inhibitors along with domperidone.

She should avoid tomatoes, citrus fruits, tea, coffee, chocolates and oily spicy food.
She should stop smoking and drinking.
Take plenty of soft diet and yogurt.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Pregnant. Had a gastroscopy and been treated for ulcer and gallbladder problem. Can it affect embryo? 8 hours later
MY NIECE NOW PRESENTS WITH ABDOMINAL PAIN AND PAIN IN HER BACK AT SHOULDER AND HOT.
SHE DID HAVE A 3 DAY OR LIGHT PERIOD 4 WEEKS AGO .
IM CONCERNED THAT THIS MIGHT BE AN ECTOPIC .
SHOULD I TAKE HER TO HOSPITAL
I AM A RADIOGRAPHER AND FEEL THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG .

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 21 minutes later
You should immediately go to ER and should consult with gynecologist and obstetrician.
She should also go for ultrasound imaging for better clarification.
Uterine pregnancy or ectopic can be differentiated by ultrasound imaging.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Pregnant. Had a gastroscopy and been treated for ulcer and gallbladder problem. Can it affect embryo? 6 minutes later
THANK YOU WE ARE ON OUR WAY

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Wishing a speedy recovery.
All the best,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava