Pregnant. HCG level on LMP was 52 and 3 days later 126. Is this a normal progression?

Excellent
Question
I have had two miscarriages and the last one was one year and half ago. I am currently pregnant. My HCG level on LMP29 was 52 and 3 days later, which is today, is 126. Is this a normal progression? I want to be excited but fearful of miscarrying again.
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 25 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Yes your hcG levels being more than 25 indicate you are pregnant.

In early pregnancy, hcG levels should atleast double every 48-72 hours.
So in your case the repeat levels are more indicating that your pregnancy is viable and not likely to miscarry.

A falling level or slower rise in hcG levels are likely to miscarry.

I would want to know your Last menses date (first day of your last menstrual period) to know if your hcG levels are adequate for your pregnancy duration.

I hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Pregnant. HCG level on LMP was 52 and 3 days later 126. Is this a normal progression? 18 minutes later
My last menses date is 10/12/12 and I think I conceived on day 16. Do you think my levels are still good?

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 18 minutes later
Hello again.

Thanks for writing back.

Considering your LMP to be 12th october, you are around 4 weeks pregnant.

The normal hcG range in this period is between 5 - 426 mIU/ml

So you do fall in this range.

The hCG doubling time, over two separate blood tests spread over a period of days (usually 3 days), is a more useful information than a single hCG level when evaluating a pregnancy for miscarriage.

Do not worry.

Take good care and nutrition.
Try avoiding stress and intercourse as you have history of repeated abortions.
Also intake of folic acid supplements (vitamin) is a must and essential in all pregnancies.

Wishing You All the Best.

Follow-up: Pregnant. HCG level on LMP was 52 and 3 days later 126. Is this a normal progression? 24 minutes later
How long do I sustain from intercourse? Is it until I know for sure there is an embryo.

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 10 minutes later
Hello there.

Yes though it is advisable for atleast first 3 months(12 weeks)in cases with repeated history of miscarriage.