Pregnant. Got cold. Will it be safe to take paracetamol?

Hi, I'm 13 weeks pregnant and waiting for my first scan which this week, I have suddenly come down with a terrible cold, is there anything you can recommend I take to ensure a speedy recovery? I am drinking lots of hot Ribeena with honey and lemon. Should I only stick with paraceetomol or is there anything else I can take? XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 37 minutes later
I'm sorry that you are feeling sick while pregnant. You are past the first trimester, which is when the fetus is most vulnerable to medications, however during pregnancy in general it is better to avoid any new medications or herbals, even if over the counter.
It is ok to take paracetamol, honey and lemon. Also take plenty of fluids. If you have a cough, it is safe to take dextrometorphan during pregnancy. Never take more than the suggested daily dose.
In terms of teas, in general it is best to avoid them, however decaffeinated non-herbal teas are safe, and may make you feel better.
You should check with your GYN doctor and/or primary care to get tested for the flu, or see if you have a bacterial infection such as strep throat.
If you have high fevers, feel shortness of breath, can't swallow, then you should immediately go to an emergency room.
Hope you get a speedy recovery!
Follow-up: Pregnant. Got cold. Will it be safe to take paracetamol? 17 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX I have just seen my local doctor who advised me to just rest, continue with hot water, lemon, honey and ginger which is what I have been drinking since yesterday. She examined me and advised me to stay off work this week. The cold has turned to a chesty cough now so will just continue with hot drinks and lots of healthy food. Thank you for your advice.

Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
I'm glad you are starting to improve already.