Pregnant. Given eltroxcin for low tsh problem. Will this have any adverse effect on baby?

Question
I am pregrnant with twins, running in 8th month. Got IVF done in July. Diagnosed with low TSH problem in March, then given Eltroxcin 100mcg to control that. Then in XXXXXXX T4 shot up and to balance that Thyrowell was given. Both continued till Dec 2012. As per my Gynaec, stopped Thyrowell in Dec 2012, however Eltroxcin 100 mcg continued. In XXXXXXX tests my TSH was 1.5 and T4 was 18. Gynaec reduced my Eltroxcin from 100 mcg to 10 mcg. After a month in feb the test results are TSH 4.5 & T4 is 17.1. Please advice, if this will have the adverse impact on the babies and how to balance TSH and T4.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 37 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in. Im afraid you may not be getting appropriate treatment for hypothyroidism. Eltroxin is given for high TSH not for low TSH. Thyrowel is not a treatmdnt for either hypo or hypothyroidism. Thyroid disorders are managed best by endocrinologists -you dhoildnt rely on gynaecologists. High T4 is natural during pregnancy so adjusted based just on high T4 may not be appropriate. FreeT4 could have been checked when t4 was high. I wouldnt have changed your dose in January when TSH was1.5. Your thyroid may not have impacted your child because you were on eltroxin 100mcg per day for better part of pregnancy. Im afraid you should consult endicrinologist if there is one in your place. I suggest you repeat free T4 and TSH now. Dosage can be adjusted based on fresh results.
Shivaprasad