Pregnant. Getting pain in back, legs and vagina. How to get relief?

Mar 2013
I'm 16th week pregnant and this cmg 28th XXXXXXX 13 i'll complete my 4th month, yesterday i work from home and entire day i was sitting in front of my system, at around 3 PM back pain started and that pain went till my legs. I was suffering from pain the whole night and my vagina also paining. Vagina pain is coming and going but if i m sitting i'm feeling the pressure in the vagina (not all the time), please advise i'm really very scared.
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 hours later
Thank you for trusting us with your health query.

Back pain and leg pain during pregnancy is common due to calcium , vitamin D deficiency , vitamin b complex deficiency and due to pressure on the ligaments which stretch and relax during pregnancy.

However, the pressure in the vagina is not normal at all. If you are having pain in the lower abdomen just on top of the bladder area, and that too more on pressing, you could be having a condition called SYPHYSIS PUBIS DYSFUNCTION, where due to laxity of the joint, there is extreme pain and discomfort over the area.

However, another reason could be an impending ( threatened ) miscarriage, because that also would cause such pressure and pain over the vaginal area ( as if something is going to pop out ) and the pain also would radiate to the back and the legs.

As mentioned, dehydration, cramps and vitamin - calcium deficiency also could be a reason.

Pregnancy also leads to compression of certain nerves which could cause such pain, and vitamin B complex supplementation often solves the issue.

Because one of the possibilities is a threatened abortion, I advise you to consult your gynecologist for a proper XXXXXXX check up and ultrasound to assess the length of the cervix, check for its dilatation etc.

If it is indeed threatened abortion, you need rest and intensive medications.

Meanwhile, calcium, vitamin D and vitamin B complex supplementation would help you.

It is not advisable to take any painkillers without a proper check up, as you have just crossed your first trimester.

Please see your obstetrician and have a proper evaluation for the pain. Take adequate fluid and avoid odd postures and prolonged standing or sitting.

Take care , and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Getting pain in back, legs and vagina. How to get relief? 7 minutes later
Thanks Doc, I'm feeling pressure while walking also, I'm a working lady, can I go to office in this condition?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 24 minutes later
Hello again XXXXXXX
I feel that without consulting your obstetrician, you should not exert yourself much.
So, I would say that before going to office tomorrow morning, please schedule an appointment, and atleast rule out threatened miscarriage as a cause of the discomfort.
Take care again, and am always open to further discussions..
Follow-up: Pregnant. Getting pain in back, legs and vagina. How to get relief? 5 minutes later
Doc I don't have - spotting, bleeding, feeling of something coming out. It's only pressure, I'm really tensed, is it really a sign of miscarriage?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
As I mentioned, it is one of the possibilities.
It is not necessary, to have spotting or bleeding.
It could be because of symphysis pubis dysfunction, or neural pain, or cramps due to vitamin deficiency, sometimes even pregnancy, the pressure you feel could be the normal sensation a primigravida often feels as the uterus stretches in the second trimester and grows out of the pelvis into the abdomen.
However, without examining you, its difficult to say exactly what it is due to, so to be on the safer side, am advising a checkup at the earliest.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Getting pain in back, legs and vagina. How to get relief? 2 minutes later
Thanks Doc, tomorrow I'll visit doc and let u know, thanks for your time.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 53 minutes later
Always happy to be of assistance, XXXXXXX !