Pregnant. Getting pain and popping sensation in chest. Acid reflux or heart issue?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have where my left side of my chest feels like it needs to "pop" and sometimes chest feels "achy". I am currently pregnant and occassionally it will feel like my heart resets itself, this only happens about every 3-6months, I had this before getting pregnant. I dont know if it is a heart issue, or if I have maybe acid reflux and it is an acid bubble popping in my chest. Very fast and only last for maybe 5 secs, I can tell when its about to happen because my chest feels heavy and my back aches.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The symptoms that you have are likely to be due to acid reflux. A cardiac rhythm disorder is usually associated with palpitation and respiratory distress.
You can take some over the counter antacid like TUMS and see if it helps.
You also need some strict life style modification like-
Avoid hot and spicy foods and beverages - they worsen symptoms.
If you smoke, stop smoking.
Eat small but frequent meals at regular intervals.
Avoid lying down immediately after a meal. A minimum of 2-3 hours should be lapsed after a meal.
Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts. Just using extra pillows will not help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.