Pregnant. Getting anxiety about the amniotic fluid embolism. How to divert my mind?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Good evening, I am 15 weeks pregnant and I'm currently experiencing some anxiety. This is stemming from the fear that I may encounter complications on or before labor and deliver. What makes matters worse , is that I'm fearing worse case scenario XXXXXXX amniotic fluid embolism". Im 33 and may need a repeat cesarean section, or choose a vback delivery, both have risks associated with AFE. My next OB appointment isn't till April 13th and I can't stop thinking about this!
Thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 minutes later
No need to worry about the amniotic fluid embolism as the incidence is very rare.
It is only seen as 1 case in 20,000 deliveries.
Try to divert your mind by thinking about your baby, how she or he will be etc.
As you already undergone cesarean section once, you will be knowing the procedure.
You can recover within one week after surgery or delivery.
So be peaceful, you may take psychological councilling once if needed.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Getting anxiety about the amniotic fluid embolism. How to divert my mind? 9 hours later
Thank you for the quick replay! Which option carries a greater risk? Cesarean or Vback delivery. I live in Toronto, ontario. the hospital I'm delivering at is mount sinai hospital which offers the choice of the two options. I understand the odds are rare for AFE but I want to lesion the probability. As well, why isn't this condition menditioned as a risk when having a c-section.

Thank you for your time

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later
Usually elective cesarean section is having comparatively less possibility of amniotic fluid embolism because we can prevent vigorous uterine action here.
May be because of low possibility usually this condition is not mentioned in risks.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.