Pregnant. Gaining weight. History of bulimia and anorexia. Should I be concerned?

Mar 2016

Hi I am 29 weeks pregnant, 5'7", and now weigh 143 pounds. I have gained 23 pounds and am wandering if i am at a healthy weight for the baby. I have a great concern for this because I have suffered through bulimia and anorexia a good portion of my life. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, at your height 5'7", standard body weight is 123-136 pound for small frame body structure in non pregnant state. You were 120 pound (lower than the standard weight) before pregnancy and your body mass index (BMI- 18.8) is just above the normal level (18.5-26).

Now, you have gained 23 pound weight in 29 weeks pregnancy. The following information is very much helpful to understand your current weight gain status:

1) For women with a normal weight before pregnancy, total weight gain in pregnancy period should be around 24-33 pounds.

2) For women who are underweight before pregnancy, total weight gain in pregnancy period should be between 26-39 pounds.

In conclusion, you have gained normal healthy weight at this stage of pregnancy. Another thing, in third trimester weight gain should be 1 pound per week.

So you have nothing to worry about past medical condition (bulimia & anorexia) and just enjoy your current pregnancy.

Do the following things for healthy pregnancy:

1) Take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet and eat more vegetables & fresh fruits.
2) Drink plenty of water/ juice to stay hydrated & for better feto-placental circulation.
3) Take adequate bed rest and preferably 10-12 hrs daily in divided schedule.
4) Try to avoid stress/tension/emotional upset by regular XXXXXXX breathing.
5) Maintain personal hygiene including breast & genital care with proper washing.
6) Continue Iron/ calcium supplements till delivery of the baby and thereafter.
7) Do periodic measure of weight gain and check blood pressure.
8) Repeated ultrasound scan for FPP (USG) is needed to assess growth and development of the baby.
9) Please consult with your obstetrician for any type of complication arise in this time period.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen