Pregnant. Found presence of albumin in urine. Is it safe to go for caesarean delivery?

Hello Doctor,

My Sister in 9 months pregnant and urine tests have revealed presence of Albumin in her Urine.Doctors are saying to do the tests again and if the results are same they are advising for immediate Caesarean.Please advise how safe is this for the mother and child and what are the other possible options to deal with this along with its Pros and cons >
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later

Presence of albumin in the urine is observed when there is any infection of the urinary tract or in pre-eclampsia, a condition of pregnancy with elevated blood pressure associated with decreased utero-placental blood supply, fetal and maternal complications if left untreated.

The diagnosis is established by evaluation of the renal tract by a nephrologist in communication with the attending obstetrician; renal disease should be excluded; repeat urinalysis along with repeated blood pressure measurement can help to diagnose pre-eclampsia.

The management of pre-eclampsia depends on the degree of proteinuria and the level of hypertension. anti-hypertensives are always given. With a proteinuria of 1+ and a blood pressure of 140/90 mm.Hg., outpatient management is done. Higher levels necessitate admission. In such cases, induction of labor may be needed if there is no response to treatment. it should be done in a well equipped set up with all the necessary aid to deal with any complications like eclampsia, fetal distress and so on. Caesarean is resorted to when there is an imminent complication like the development of eclampsia or fetal complications like fetal distress and the labor shows no signs of progress. Delivery relieves the features of eclampsia or pre-eclampsia to a large extent.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Found presence of albumin in urine. Is it safe to go for caesarean delivery? 14 minutes later
Thank you So much Doctor for the Clarification !! Your opinion has indeed helped !! Will get back to you in-case of Further clarification !!

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 12 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

I am very happy that I could help you. You can always get back to me whenever you need help. I will be ready to answer.

Wish you good health and your sister a safe delivery.