Pregnant. Found cyst in fetal brain. Will it disappear before delivery? Any complication?

Question
Dear Doctor,
I am XXXXXXX and now 31 Weeks pregnant. i had an scan at 20 weeks and found a cyst in fetal brain measuring 4.7*3.1mm and during 26weeks 3days we had an another scan and the still the cyst was present measuring 4.6*3.8 mm.
Can you please tell me is there any chance that this cyst might disappear before delivery, what if the cyst persist after delivery and are there any chances of risk in baby's growth
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Thanks for posting your query on health care magic.

The presence of isolated choroid plexus cysts (CPCs) on a second trimester ultrasound is a common cause of anxiety, although it is almost always an innocent finding.
It is not considered a brain abnormality.

Choroid plexus cysts are present in 1 to 2 percent of normal fetuses. However, in a very small percentage of fetuses with choroid plexus cysts, there is an associated chromosome disorder called trisomy 18.

Since other ultrasound markers are negative and cyst is not further growing in size, you need not worry. This will not affect baby's growth.

As far as cyst is not increasing in size , it will not cause any harm even after delivery. So there is nothing to be concerned and enjoy your pregnancy.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask for further clarifications.
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Pregnant. Found cyst in fetal brain. Will it disappear before delivery? Any complication? 38 minutes later
Dear Nilofer,

Very thanks for your reply
So, are you telling that the cyst is not growing..? if so, am really happy. but then the size varies from what it was in 20 weeks and in 26 weeks. it was 4.7*3.1mm and 4.6*3.8mm respectively. there is bit variation in the size right? please clarify

Also here i have an another question to you?
For the past couple of weeks, i could see some fluid which comes out from my breast and in my left breast, a small amount of blood is present in the fluid. can you please let me know about this, can i breast feed my baby normally like any other mother does.

since the blood is present in the fluid, i am worried that will it affect feeding my baby in any way.

Also i am sleeping only in the left side and could not sleep in my right though i tried several times. is it good practice or do i need to sleep in both the sides?

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 11 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX.
I appreciate your promt reply.

1. there is bit variation in the size right? please clarify. Ultrasound is subjective. There will be slight difference in measurement every time it is measured. As long as it is less than 5mm and not increasing in size , you need not worry.

2. can i breast feed my baby normally like any other mother does. Yes definitely you can breast feed. Small amount of discharge from breast is due to prolactin hormone which increases in pregnancy. Actually your body is being prepared to feed your baby after delivery. As long as there is no lump in the breast with nipple retraction, you need not be concerned.

3. is it good practice or do i need to sleep in both the sides? Left lateral position is recommended for good blood supply to fetus. You are doing a right job.

Hope this helps.
Fell free to ask for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Pregnant. Found cyst in fetal brain. Will it disappear before delivery? Any complication? 35 minutes later
Dear nilofer,

Thanks for your patience to my questions.
Here i have the last set of questions.

Please find the below observations during 26 weeks scan
Presentation: unstable
Placenta:fundal & Posterior
Umbilical Cord; Normal
Liquor:Normal
cardiac Activity:Present
Heart Rate: 152 bpm
BPD:66mm corresponds to 26 weeks 5 days
HC :251mm corresponds to 27 weeks 2 days
AC : 211mm corresponds to 25 weeks 6 days
Fl : 48mm corresponds to 26 weeks 2 days

Fetal Weight:889gms
FL/AC : 22.8%
HC/AC :118.7%
FL/BPD : 72.6%

Is all the above measurements are normal for fetal growth? size, weight and length of the fetal.

i was told my gyne in S'pore that the baby is bit under weight.
Can you please help me telling the baby's weight is under/normal or over?

Many thanks to you
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 32 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Weight of the baby at 26th week should be between 840-900gm.
Your baby's weight is in the normal range. So nothing to worry.

Hope this helps. Take care of yourself.
regards,
Dr Nilofer