Pregnant. Feeling pain in abdomen and leg. Normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
Dear doctor,
my wife is just entered 3rd month of pregnancy. She is feeling sometimes little pain at the right abdomin and pain in right leg.

the sensation or pain is very light and lasts for few seconds. This is happening 1 to 2 times a day.

please advise if this is normal.

XXXXX
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

The possible causes for her pain are:
With the progression of the pregnancy the uterus size will increase and that will lead to stretching of the supportive ligaments.
Uterus will be usually dextro rotated.

Usually minimal pain is normal only and will subside with rest, no need to worry. Taking rest in left lateral position is preferable.
If the pain continues and increases in severity, once consult gynecologist and rule out other possible factors like constipation etc.
Then with her advice your wife can go for natural micronized progesterone tablets that will help in relaxing smooth muscles and can relieve the pain.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Feeling pain in abdomen and leg. Normal? 9 days later
Thanks doctor for replying. Can u advise any tips to get rid of cold during pregnancy. my wife suffering from cold for last 24 hrs and trying to control sneezing as she is afraid that may cause any problems to foetus.

As of now she is using zincovit, sustane and folimust D.

regards
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

The home remedies for cold are:
-Increasing water intake.
-Taking warm soups, tea etc.
-Steam inhalation.
For more details:http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/05/cough-in-pregnancy.html
If cold is severe and not getting controlled with these measures better to use antihistamines to decrease sneezing, with your doctor's advice.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Feeling pain in abdomen and leg. Normal? 6 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Tjanks for reply. My wife is trying to control sneezing as she is concerned of baby. is this right?

There may not be much harm to the fetus by sneezing, as:
-Your wife just entered into third month. In this gestational age the uterus will be in the pelvis and just entering into the abdomen.
-As sneezing increases the thoracic pressure mainly, that may not affect the uterus at this gestaional age