Pregnant. Feeling depressed and cried a lot. Will this affect my baby?

HI Doctor,
Now I am in end of 5th month. For Past 2 months, I was totally depressed and cried often due to family problems. I have a doubt that whether it will affect my baby in any concern.Currently I am taking Calcim,Iron and Folic acid tablets prescribed by doctor and fruits and juices daily. Need to add anything in my food habit?
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
The depressive feelings during the pregnancy are definitely not good for the baby. This can cause a decrease in the growth of the baby and a low birth weight.
A stress free life adds to the fetal well being. To help this problem you can take a few measures-
1.Check your caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2.Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking- even a passive smoking.
3.Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
4. Learn controlled breathing.
5. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc to decrease the depressive feelings.

The nutritional supplements that you need for healthy baby include-
1. A high protein diet- XXXXXXX in pulses, cereals, eggs, fish, etc.
2. A high calcium intake- like milk, milk products, eggs, bajra, ragi, etc.
3. Eat fiber XXXXXXX fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables and avoid foods which are not easily digestible and fatty foods
4. Have six small meals instead of 3 large meals
5. Drink plenty of fluids
6. Go for regular Brisk walks for 30 to 40 minutes daily.
7. Take regular iron , calcium and DHA supplements as prescribed by your gynecologist.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.