Pregnant. Feeling constipated, head heaviness and developed vertigo. How to get relief?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 11 weeks pregnant and having this head heaviness and developing vertigo while lying on my back and right side .Lying on my left is OK but all my body weight on my left shoulder and side makes my uncomfortable. I've tried physiotherapy with only hot pack on my shoulder ,neck and some ultrasonic pluse therapy on my neck and shoulder (not used short wave because of pregnancy) & acupressure with applying pressure on upper side of thumb joints but getting only temporary relief .I am taking only folic acid (folvite 5 mg) & susten 200 and my daily diet is XXXXXXX in vegetable & fruits ,coconut water ,some juices .Also all my results are ok and BP is around 110 / 70 . Also feeling very constipated & bloated all the time .
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The symptoms you have described are likely to be due to cervical spondylosis. The following measures will help you in bringing relief.
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms. You can take betahistine or cinnarizine for the vertigo. Both are safe in pregnancy.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.
All these measures will help in temporary relief.
As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
To avoid constipation and bloating, you need to take plenty of fluids and foods that act as laxatives: Prunes, figs, Psyllium husk, shredded wheat, flaxseed (oil), Senna, Cascara sagrada, Aloe vera juice, Dandelion root, Molasses, Liquorice, etc.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.