Pregnant. Facing gas problem with lower abdominal pain. Looking for remedy

My wife is in her 26th week of pregnancy and has lately been facing gas problem and pain in the lower stomach/abdomen area. We suspected that the XXXXXXX Tea we have been taking might be the culprit and have decided to stop the same.
Please advise any further remedial measures.
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

It is not uncommon to have problems related to decreased "transit time" with regard to bowel function in pregnancy. This means that constipation and gas pain is definitely an issue. This is usually treated with:
1. Stool softeners - colace 100mg 1-2 x / day
2. Gas pills - anything over-the-counter that contains 'simethicone', such as Gas-X
3. Adequate hydration and increased fiber in diet

That being said, make sure that this is not a concern regarding contractions and pre-term labor. It probably should be run by her OB/GYN provider as well. But in the meantime, I hope that this helps!

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional followup questions!