Pregnant. Experiencing tenderness and burning sensation on lower rib cage. Reason?

I am 6 weeks pregnant and have just started experiencing tenderness and burning at the edge of my lower rib cage. Is it relaxin making my ribs expand and causing pain?
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 10 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your query,
Burning and tenderness at the edge of the lower rib cage could two main common conditions. First, could be due to a kidney infection, common in pregnancy acute pyelonephritis or a problem at the level of the lungs.
In this case, its more suggestive of a urogenital infection. Diagnosis involved a clinical evaluation, which usually reveals tenderness at the junction between the ribs and the abdomen, called costovertebral angle tenderness. A urine strip i search of leucocytes and nitrites usually confirms the presence of a urinary tract infection.
Left untreated, complications like abortions might set in, but this occurs at a very late stage.
I suggest you visit your gynecologist/obstetrician for proper medical check up and follow up.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Experiencing tenderness and burning sensation on lower rib cage. Reason? 2 minutes later
It's at the front of the ribcage, not the back. Does that make a difference?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 7 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
In front, other diagnostic possibilities could then be considered too. If the pain irradiates to the back or is a burning pain, acute gastritis or gastroesophagal reflux disease is common in pregnant women. Treatment of this condition is relatively simple with antacids, diet modifications and elevation of the head of the bed before sleeping.
However, a good clinical examination must be done to exclude pyelonephritis and acute costochondritis especially in this case.
Getting consulted by your Gynecologist is important, but if the pain is so intense and the appointment might take time, visiting the emergency room first is a good option. Anxiety is not very good in pregnant women.
Thanks and best regards.
Will be honored answering further questions if any.
Luchuo, MD.