Pregnant. Experiencing bloating, gas, eating frequently and abdominal pain. Should I be concerned?

Question
I am 5 weeks pregnant. I am experiencing bloating, gas, and am eating frequently. My other symptoms have subsided. I also just experienced a brief sharp pain in my lower abdomen while im sitting in my chair. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Because of hormonal changes in pregnancy , mostly because of progesterone there occurs relaxation of smooth muscles of gastrointestinal system and will result in constipation , which may also lead to bloating of abdomen.

I advice you to follow few things like :
-take small foods at regular intervals, rather than overloading your GIT.
- Drink plenty of water
-Avoid stress
-Chew food properly , don't swallow quickly because during this you may swallow air which will cause bloating.

Sharp pain in lower abdomen may be due to sometimes may be nonspecific.

No need to worry , but i advice you to consult your gynaec if pain increases or accompanied by bleeding, fever.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Experiencing bloating, gas, eating frequently and abdominal pain. Should I be concerned? 19 minutes later
Thank you for your feedback. I have also experienced backache. I had sore nipples for the longest time and now they don't hurt as bad. Is that normal? I tend to worry alot and think every pain I have is the beginning of a miscarriage.

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 16 minutes later
Hello
Good to hear from you.

Back ache is also one of the early symptom of pregnancy, increases in severity as uterus increases in size.

Sore nipples if decreased in size then no need to be concerned , if it comes back again then consult your doctor as these may cause feeding difficulties later.

I think you are getting too much worried, if there is miscarriage then you will have severe pain in lower abdomen along with bleeding per vagina.

Can understand you are very much concerned with your baby .

will wish, you have a healthy baby.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health