Pregnant. Experiencing bleeding from nose and throat. Is there any complication?

ENT Specialist
My wife is 22 weeks pregnant. She is experiencing bleeding from the throat and nose. We just flew 7 hours on an airplane. She experienced this bleeding also at about 14 weeks. What could this be?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. If the bleeding (epistaxis) at 14 weeks also happened after a long flight, the causes could be:
a. Barotrauma: (Due to cabin pressure changes)
b. Dry nasal mucosa: (Due to the air conditioning)
c. Hormonal: (Increased blood flowdue to congrstion)
d. High blood pressure: (Get her BO checked regularly)

2. Get a nasal examination and nasal endoscopy done. Routine blood tests may be done. X-rays or Scans are better avoided during pregnancy.

3. Is the bleeding from one side or both? Is it mild or severe in quantity?

4. Mild epistaxis can be managed with pinching the nose and ice fomentation. Local chemical cauterization may be done if the bleeding point is visible. Medication is bet avoided unless the bleeding is very heavy.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.