Pregnant. Experiencing bad taste and having vomiting sensation. Suffer cough. Worried? What to do?

Hello Doctor
My wife is 4 months pregnant and she is experiencing bad taste and having vomiting sensation for last few days. She has vomited couple of times as well. She is suffering from cough for last one week for which she is following some home remedial and taking cough syrup as prescribed by our doctor. She was having trouble with vomiting for the first 3 months and it had stopped afterwards and started again in last week along with cough.
please let me know if this is something which I need to be worried about or is there any thing we can do for the bad taste
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

I understand you are worried about your wife, but nausea and vomiting go hand in hand especially during the first few weeks of pregnancy. There is absolutely nothing to worry about and it almost always subsides in a few weeks.

Treatment is targeted at just treating the nausea(if present) and vomiting directly.

The cough usually associated with vomiting in pregnant women could also be due to certain gastric conditions like: GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), etc; which are commonly seen in pregnant women.

If the cough syrup does not help, then you should discuss a gastric cause with your doctor and try treatment for the same, if your wife experiences an improvement, the cause is most probably gastric.

All these conditions are perfectly normal in pregnant women, and nothing serious at all.

Wishing your wife the best and most healthy pregnancy. Do write back to me for any further queries. I would gladly help.