Pregnant. Experience vertigo and anxiety. Taking Xanax. Trouble concentrating on work. Worried?

I am currently 9 weeks 2 days pregnant. I experience vertigo and by anxiety has really seemed to pick up in the last the last 3 weeks. I have trouble concentrating at work and over all do not feel well from the pregnancy. I usually take .5mg of Xanax per day. I have done research on this medication, but I am not able to find current statistics. I am not sure if the statistics are based on taking 4mg per day. I took this medication during my last pregnancy, but I seem to be more worried taking the medication this round. I want a healthy baby, but I also need to take care of myself at the same time. Do I have a lot to be worried about? Am I being selfish?
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I understand early in pregnancy you really might be worried. I honestly think there are two things you must consider in this case. The first is, pregnancy on its in own at times is a stressful condition, and physiologically, it is not absurd to find women developing more anxiety disorders during pregnancy, it is a very common phenomenon. Secondly, Xanax taken at a dosage of 4mg daily should not be a major concern at this point in time.

The good news with you is, you have been pregnant before, and you should of course have really to worry less. Xanax at 4mg at this point in time is a good dose. I strongly suggest you developing a positive aspect or vision of looking at things, considering the physiological state as normal, increasing the bonding existing between you and friends, family and loved ones who actually might help. You should not hesitate to share your concerns with your physician. Mild regular exercise like walking, reading and watching your most loved TV slots could really do much help.

Be good and belief you are ok, for you really are. You need not be bothered for now at least with the dose of Xanax you are taking. A vegetable and fruit XXXXXXX diet is advisable, as you know of course, at this point in time. I will be glad answering any further questions if need be. Till then, wishing you the best of health and be happy. Kind regards,

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Experience vertigo and anxiety. Taking Xanax. Trouble concentrating on work. Worried? 8 hours later
Thank you for responding. I am actually only taking .5mg a day, not 4mg. So the delivery and health of my baby should fairly be okay. The risk of health issues are fairly slim?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Many women take this drug without any reported events. I suggest you really need not worry. Kind regards and be good.

Bain LE, MD.