Pregnant. Dry, wrinkled, irritated vulvar area. No itching. Stinging urination. Used antibiotic cream. Help

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
I am 32 weeks pregnant and I shaved my vulvar area about a week and a half ago. Now I have a dry, Wrinkled, and irritated vulvar area. It does not itch but it is raised kind of like a diaper rash and extends to my anus. It stings (not my urethra; but like they are open cuts) when I pee. I have been using triple antibiotic cream to try and help but I do not think it is working. And if it help to know I was on a 10 day cycle of amox-clav. Help please.
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
According to your description there is possibility of delayed allergic manifestation to the cream etc. you used during shaving.
The cuts might have got infected leading to localized inflammatory reaction.
So you better consult gynecologist once, get examined to find out the actual nature of the rash.
And take treatment accordingly.
You should not take prolonged course of antibiotics with out consulting the doctor in pregnancy.
So better consult doctor as early as possible.
Meanwhile you can take sitz bath for symptomatic relief.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Dry, wrinkled, irritated vulvar area. No itching. Stinging urination. Used antibiotic cream. Help 10 hours later
I was prescribed the antibiotic for an abscess in the armpit. I was hoping that being on the antibiotic did not cause me to contract a yeast infection or thrush. But I don't have any abnormal discharge or a foul odor. It is just very irritated and sore. I used a little hydrocortizone cream last night before I went to sleep and didn't wear anything to bed. It seemed to help a little with the irritation and redness.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later
Yeast is a fungus, antibiotic may not act on it, you need antifungal medicine.
You can use hydrocortizone, but avoid high doses and prolonged duration.
Instead you can choose natural ways like sitz bath.
If the symptoms persist better to consult gynecologist once.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.