Pregnant. Diagnosed with low lying placenta. Is this normal?

Mar 2013
Hi i am 12 wks 3 days pregnant ,and my doc says i have a low lying placenta, is it something to worry about ? Also i am unable to sleep on either of my sides, there is a sharp pain induced if i try and sleep on any one of my sides, this has started from today itself after i visted the doctor.
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 17 hours later
Brief Answer: MIGRATES UPWARDS IN MOST CASES, DO NOT WORRY. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Normally the placenta is situated in the upper part ( fundus ) of the uterus. In some cases, the placenta might be low lying, that is, it might occupy the lower part of the uterus. This can cause complications such as vaginal bleeding, spotting etc. In more than 50 % of cases, the placenta migrates upwards as the uterus grows in size, and occupies its normal position. If this does not happen, then there would be problems like abnormal presentation of the baby, preterm labour, sudden bleeding leading to fetal loss etc. But there is no cause for worry right now, as in more than half the cases, the placenta would migrate as I told you. Right now, you should avoid any kind of stress, intercourse, jerky travelling etc. If you observe any bleeding / spotting, consult your obstetrician right away. By the third trimester ( by 30 weeks ) the placenta will come to its normal position in most conditions. Regarding the pain, try and avoid sleeping in the position which is causing discomfort. After 12 weeks, when the uterus enlarges in size, and comes into the abdominal cavity, it causes pressure on the surrounding muscles, nerves and ligaments and surrounding structures, leading to pain. It is common to feel slight amount of discomfort . The pain should not be persistent, should not be crampy. If it does not subside or intensifies by tomorrow, I would recommend a visit to your doctor to rule out any complication. Also, you can try and prop yourself up on the side with some pillows as that might relieve you. Take care, please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Diagnosed with low lying placenta. Is this normal? 2 days later
Hi Doc XXXXXXX Thanks for a satisfactory answer:) I have a follow up question, today i am close to 13 wks completion and i see my morning stool was completely black.dark green in it something to worry about ? Just FYI i have started with iro tablets called dexorange every night after food its beeen 5 days now.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: It is very common to have dark geen / blackish stools while taking iron tablets. It just means that the iron is being absorbed completely. Do not worry. AM happy I could provide you some help and relief. Please feel free to use the following link to contact me anytime - WWW.WWWW.WW