Pregnant. Diagnosed with low liquid level and echogenic bowel on abdomen of fetus. Causes?

Hi, My wife 37years old is pregnant, yesterday she was diagnosed with low liquid level (AFI- 6) and echogenic bowel on abdomen of fetus. We were advised to discontinue the pregnancy, what can be causes for low fluid and treatment for this there is no history of hypertension, diabetic, malnutrition or any kind of disease. please advise
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Birth defects, placental causes and leakage.

Detailed Answer:

I will be able to comment better if you can provide me with details of your wife's obstetric history like the age of gestation, the number of pregnancies, any other significant findings etc.

A diagnosis of oligohydramnios or low fluid levels is made when the amount of liquor is less than 500 ml. at around 32 weeks of gestation; absence of a pocket of 2-3 cm. depth or amniotic fluid level less than 5 cm.

The causes are several and include
-birth defects like kidney or urinary tract defects
-impaired placental perfusion that in turn impedes recycling of the fluid by the baby
-leakage of membranes
-past dated pregnancy
-maternal complications like diabetes, hypoxia etc.

Treatment depends on the extent of the defect, associated deformities and the stage of the pregnancy at which it is detected and maternal condition.
-If the pregnancy is not yet term, close monitoring, rest, increased intake of fluids both orally and intravenous are the usual mode of treatment.
-If the pregnancy has reached term, induction of labor is done with amnio-infusion during labor or prior to labor through amniocentesis while vital data are monitored; cesarean delivery may be needed in case of fetal jeopardy.

Echogenic bubble suggests atresia or stenosis of the digestive tract. High resolution ultrasound should be done and monitored properly. You should also take a second opinion before deciding further.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Diagnosed with low liquid level and echogenic bowel on abdomen of fetus. Causes? 8 minutes later
Age 37, First child 12 years old, no history of diabetic or hypertension, 22 week of pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat sonogram and if positive, observation.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

If the observation has been made for the first time now, a second opinion may be taken and also a decision made after a repeat high resolution sonogram. A cardio-tocogram to assess fetal well being also may be done in addition. If there are no major fetal anomalies and the amniotic fluid level is borderline, observation is usually advised and intervention is done if any complications like fetal distress develop. Esophageal stenosis or atresia is a defect that can be repaired surgically after birth.

Hope I have answered your query. Please contact for further information. I will be ready to help.