Pregnant. Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Will this affect the brain development of fetus?

Excellent

Question
My wife is pregnant
Age 27 Yrs
Thryoid test says 10.86 ( hypothyroidism)
is there any danger to babys brain development
Pls respond
thanks in advance
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 23 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,Welcome to Healthcare Magic.Your wife is overtly hypothyroid and runs a risk of Cretinism to the baby. Cretinism is hypothyroidism of congenital or early years and affects the brain and bodily development. So she should receive Thyroxin supplement as soon as possible so no complication develop. Please start treatment in supervision of a local clinician.I hope the advise would be helpful for you.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Will this affect the brain development of fetus? 34 minutes later
She is on a Electroxin 50mcg
Can it help her and the baby

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 13 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,
Welcome back.
Eltroxin is thyroxin.
It will certainly help her, but you need to get a repeat Thyroid profile after two weeks to see if the replacement is sufficient.
The test should be done on morning empty stomach sample.
I hope the answer would be helpful for you.