Pregnant. Diagnosed with ear infection. Prescribed with amoxicillin and ciprodex. Is ciprodex safe?

Excellent
Question
Good evening. I'm 6 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with a middle and outer ear infection wth foul smelling drainage. A PCP prescribed amoxicillin and Ciprodex. She told me the Cipodex was a category C drug, so I've been using hydrogen peroxide 1 to 2 times a day instead. I've been doing this with the amoxicilin for two days, and it seems to be mildly improving, but I'm starting to wonder if I should just use the Ciprodex. In your opinion, is it safe to use the Ciprodex, and am I doing myself harm by using the HP instead?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
dont use ciprodex

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Being a cat C drug means that there is not enough data to draw conclusions . Don't use ciprodex as it contains steroids that is known to have teratogenic effects on a fetus apart from cipro floxacin with is contradicted due to the fact that not enough studies are available to make a conclusions . You can use hydrogen peroxide though . That shouldn't be a problem . Amoxicillin is also fine to use.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Diagnosed with ear infection. Prescribed with amoxicillin and ciprodex. Is ciprodex safe? 9 minutes later
Thanks! How long should I use the hydrogen peroxide?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
use peroxide until infection subsides

Detailed Answer:
You can use the peroxide until the infection subsides. The foul smelling discharge should go. The ear should become dry. Complete the course of the antibiotics. A week to ten days should be enough to show improvement.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Diagnosed with ear infection. Prescribed with amoxicillin and ciprodex. Is ciprodex safe? 20 hours later
Ok, thanks. I'm sorry to ask another question--should have included it in the first follow-up. How many times a day should I put the hydrogen peroxide in and how long shoud i leave it in before draining it out? I've read anything from 1-3 times a day for no longer than 2 minutes to at least 30 minutes. Today i left it in for about 10 minutes until the bubbling began to tickle/itch badlyand I had to drain it out, but it dried my ear out alot and i don't seem to have alot of discharge anymore. Ok, that's my last question, Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
dont leave it in long

Detailed Answer:
Dont leave it in for more than 2-3min. Just clean thoroughly and wash it out. You can do this once or twice a day. Depending on the severity of the discharge. Make sure you dry it out well after use. Once the ear is dry again, without discharge you can stop.