Ask a Urologist   »  

Pregnant. Culture and sensitivity urine test done. Did I got urinary infection? Is antibiotic safe for baby?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I am into 8th month of pregnency. I attached my CULTURE AND SENSITIVITY (VITEK)-URINE report. Did I get urinary infection. My doctor gave me antibiotics for 2 weeks. Are they safe for my baby?
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 47 minutes later
hi XXXXXX

according to your reports you are having urinary tract infection, as UTI is defined as presence of at least 100,000 organisms/ml even in asymptomatic patient.

but you didn't mention what medicines you are taking, if you give that details I can tell you regarding the safety.

meanwhile you continue your regular tablets, take plenty of water.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Culture and sensitivity urine test done. Did I got urinary infection? Is antibiotic safe for baby? 44 hours later
The medicine name is Nifty 100 MG.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXX

nifty contains nitrofurantoin which is category B drug in pregnancy means animal studies showed no adverse effects on fetus but sufficient human studies are lacking,
but it should be preferably avoided in last 2 to 4 weeks of pregnancy as if delivery occurs during that period it can pass into breast milk and can harm nursing baby.

so as at present you are in 8th month without symptoms like pain abdomen etc you can use this as told by your doctor.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.