Pregnant, Constipation, external hemorrhoid, blood outside stool, sore anus area, pulling / fullness in lower abdomen, had c-section. Colon caner?

I am currently 15 weeks pregnant with my second child and kind of concerned about colon cancer. I have had some constipation with this pregnancy which has resulted in an external hemorrhoid. On the day that the hemorrhoid developed, I was pretty constipated and passed a large, hard stool. I noticed a bit of bright red blood on the outside of the stool. Later that day when I sat on the toilet to empty my bladder, I noticed that the area on the outside of my anus felt sore...I also noticed some more fresh blood that seemed to be coming from the hemorrhoid. I have had no bleeding since and it has been over a week. The hemorrhoid is still present, but gradually shrinking and is no longer causing discomfort. What concerns me is a strange feeling in my lower left abdomen. I only notice it when I lift my left leg as in to step over something or to climb into bed. It almost feels like a pulling or maybe a slight fullness...never painful and not present every time I lift my leg. I mind is racing because I have had rectal bleeding before...about two years ago and off and on during my pregnancy with my 17 month old daughter. I only noticed bleeding when there was pain (like with a hemorrhoid or a fissure) while passing stool. I can remember no recent bleeding up until last week's event and there has been none since then. My question is, could this strange sensation in my lower left abdomen that is felt only upon certain movements, be from colon cancer? I am 24 years old, which I know is young, but I also know that it doesn't mean something like this can't happen to me. I have had this sensation in my abdomen before I was pregnant and it went away on it's own, and now it is back. I am feeling fine otherwise. No morning sickness or anything like that. Just tired, constipated and gassy...all of these symptoms seem to be dissipating now that I am in the 2nd trimester. My bowel movements are very regular. I will also add that I had a c-section with my daughter.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Firstly, let me begin with saying symptoms of awkward movements in the abdomen coupled with your history of per rectal bleeding due to hemorrhoids on and off in the past and the vague 2nd trimester normal symptoms of tiredness and constipation and bloating have nothing to do with cancer of the colon that you are concerned.

Any cancer related to bleeding per rectum for long time would need proper evaluation along with n number of tests. Hemorrhoids have no relation with causing colon cancer too. And have their own place in treatment history. Persistence and recurrence is common after surgery too. Many therapies other than surgeries include sclerotherapy etc which needs a specialist opinion.

If your pregnancy is going well, with the help of proper check ups with your obstetrician - an evaluation with a surgeon once or twice during pregnancy would be helpful to XXXXXXX your doubts and stop bleeding loss. This is important as you cannot afford to loose blood at this stage of pregnancy.

There are many alternatives for proper approach to your bleeding in pregnancy, so utilize your resources well instead of the grave concerns in your mind. You need to at the top of mental health for a healthy pregnancy too. So, no no to stress please.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.