Pregnant. Checked heart with Doppler about 150s 160s with acel up to 178. Guide?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
I am 35 weeks 5 days pregnant. Very active baby. Crazy active today. Now 6 hours non stop movement. One Estes bout of hiccups today for 15 minutes 1 hour 20 min ago. Checked heart with Doppler about 1/2 hour ago for a minute. 150s 160s with acel up to 178. Getting freaked that baby is distressed. Calmer now but still moving constantly.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Normal fetal heart rate is typically 120-180 beats/ min. In this stage, your baby's heart rate is perfectly normal. A sustained rhythm more than 200 beats/ min is abnormal and needs urgent medical attention to rule out pathological tachycardia. It is usually associated with congenital heart diseases. But, it is not likely in your case as per information. So, you don't need to much worry about this.

Baby's activity for certain period is a good sign and it varies according to day or night time, mother's sleeping or eating etc. DFMC (daily fetal movement count) should be more than 10 in less than 2 hr. Above features are not suggestive of fetal distress as fetal heart rate is quite good.

In the later weeks, fetal movement is gradually decreased due to engagement of fetal head in pelvic cavity and you will feel mild to strong uterine contraction.

Lastly, I suggest you to consult with your obstetrician for overall assessment of fetal well being through stethoscope or fetoscope and obstetric ultrasound scan (preferably 4D).

Hope, above information is quite helpful for understanding. For any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Pregnant. Checked heart with Doppler about 150s 160s with acel up to 178. Guide? 15 hours later
Do you think there is any concern about fetal hiccups - 2-4 bouts per day? All doctors I have asked have said normal.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later

Thanks for follow up query.

Fetal hiccups is a normal phenomena. It can be felt by many pregnant women and through ultrasound scan. It is a good sign of healthy baby. So, you don't need to be surprised or worried regarding this.

Hope, it helps to clear your confusion. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion.

Take care yourself. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Pregnant. Checked heart with Doppler about 150s 160s with acel up to 178. Guide? 2 hours later
One more question. Please respond ASAP. My baby was active for 6 hours straight last night. Normal activity today but very mellow this evening. I am still counting 10 kicks an hour but much milder movements and certainly much less activity for this baby. I am afraid to go to sleep. Please help.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 13 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

I have already mentioned that baby's activity varies according to day or night time, mother's sleeping or eating etc. You would not feel same pattern of baby's activity throughout the whole day.

As fetal kick count (DFMC) is around 10 in an hour, then it is a good sign. In this stage, you have nothing to worry. Take adequate rest.

If DFMC is less than 10/ hour continuously for 12-24 hrs, then you need medical attention. Fetal NST (Non Stress Test) can be done to rule out distress. You can consult with your obstetrician for proper guidance.

Hope, it will be helpful for you. Don't be stressed.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Pregnant. Checked heart with Doppler about 150s 160s with acel up to 178. Guide? 17 minutes later
Thank you. He became quite active in last 20 minutes and I have NST tomorrow. I feel safe to go to sleep. Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 0 minute later
You are welcome.

Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Pregnant. Checked heart with Doppler about 150s 160s with acel up to 178. Guide? 17 hours later
Good NST today. One follow up. No hiccups from baby today when usually 2-4 bouts per day. Is this anything potentially bad?

Also, acels were up to 170s today when usually not so high.

Baby also feels like he is constantly fidgeting but not moving around necessarily

Answered by Dr. S Patra 4 hours later

Thanks for follow up query.

As your baby's NST report is quite good and heart rate is around 170 beats/ min, then you have nothing to worry in this stage. These are positive sign of a healthy baby.

Near term, baby's pattern of activity is slightly different in compare to previous weeks. As time progressed, fetal movement is decreased due to engagement of fetal head in pelvic cavity and lesser intrauterine space. In the later weeks, you will feel mild to strong uterine contraction for delivery of the baby.

Here, I suggest you to do periodic check up to your obstetrician for overall assessment of fetal well being until you deliver the baby. Don't be worried too much regarding this.

Hope, I have answered your query. Wish your successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen