Pregnant. Cervix is open in internal examination. Ultrasound shows cervix is long and closed

Mar 2016

I'm 17.4 weeks pregnant and had my monthly checkup today and my doctor said after doing an XXXXXXX examination that she feels my cervix is a little open and has put me on bed rest for 10 days and also has prescribed Proluton depot injection for 4 weeks (once weekly) and duvadilan retard capsule once daily for 30 days. I had had my ultrasound on 3rd October and the results showed that my cervix was long and closed.
I am very worried what all this means and want to know if this is a fairly common problem and what are the chances of completing the term?
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Sometimes long or elongated cervix may be felt like little open during pelvic or XXXXXXX examination. However, we need to be careful in this stage to prevent preterm delivery or pregnancy loss (if occurred).

2) I have seen some pregnant women with little open of cervix in early stage but most of them continue their pregnancy near term by proper treatment and careful measures. They also deliver a healthy baby. Outcome of each pregnancy is not always predictable from early stage.

However, 5 to 10% may deliver preterm baby (between 28-36 weeks) and special attention is required during delivery & after that. Preterm baby or sick new born needs special care at SNCU or NICU. Your obstetrician will take care and guide you in that stage.

3) In this circumstance, I suggest you to continue above prescribed medicine (PROLUTON DEPOT weekly and Duvadilan Retard capsule). They help to support pregnancy and prevent preterm delivery or early miscarriage/ pregnancy loss.

4) Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM) should be controlled with proper medicine and low carbohydrate diet. Periodic measurement of blood sugar through GCT and HbA1C. BP should be normal and continue other medicines.

5) You have to follow some additional measures till 28 weeks to prevent preterm labor:

- Do periodic check up with schedule ultrasound scan for proper assessment of fetal well being and progression of pregnancy.
- Take adequate bed rest (10-12 hrs/ day) with left lateral position or elevate foot end with one pillow.
- Take balanced protein XXXXXXX diet with more vegetables and drink more water or juice for better feto-placental circulation.
- Avoid heavy work/ lifting heavy objects/ long journey/ uneven surface/ sexual intercourse/ repeated ups & downs etc.
- Maintain genital hygiene and avoid unnecessary mental stress or emotional upset.

Hope, I have guided you properly. Let me know, if you need any further clarification.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood. Don't be worried.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through