Pregnant. Carrying twins. TIFFA scan showed short cervix with early funneling of lower uterine segment. Meaning?

Infertility Specialist
Hello Doctor,

Good Morning, I am XXXXXXX Prardhana, I am carrying twin babies, and it is 21st week 2 days now, my last month period (LMP) is 18th XXXXXXX 2013.

We had a TIFFA scanning yesterday at Diagnostics as per our family doctor, gynecologist, and Report Impression says below

Please guide us how do we proceed further on the same, as per our family doctor recommending to go for the stitching cerclage for my cervix problem.

Here is my question that shall I proceed with cerclage surgery at hospital, I mean can we wait for surgery or it is really an urgent one to make it?
and any more complications or side effects with the cerclage?
What are your recommendations?
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Child Birth
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 56 minutes later

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) Cervical length is 2.5 cms which is borderline wait and watch if it was singleton pregnancy. You would not need encirclage for singleton pregnancy at this length.

2) Unfortunately you have short cervix for a twin pregnancy which needs cervical stitch as twin pregnancies exert pressure on the cervix and hence chances of abortion.

3) Scan also shows early funneling which is sign of indication that twin pregnancy is pushing the cervix and cervical encirclage is helpful in such cases.

4) In view of funneling I advice you to undergo cervical stitch as soon as possible to prevent increase in funneling.

5) Generally it is a safe procedure in expert hands though there are few risk factors like abortion, rupture of membranes, infection etc... But it is prudent to undergo procedure now.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any follow up query you have.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist