Pregnant. Blood test shows rubella IgG, rubella IgM. Will there be any complications during pregnancy and will this affect the child?

Hi Doctor,
My wife is pregnant (10 weeks). She has gone through the blood test and result says:
Rubella IgG is 51 UI/ml and
Rubella IgM is 0.84 UI/ml.

Ar there any complications? How is it going to affect the baby? Are there any remedy?

Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 9 hours later

This test suggest that at some point of time in past, she had rubella infection.

At present, she is not having infection. In my opinion, your wife should continue with pregnancy.

She should have anomaly scan of baby between 18-20 weeks.

If IgM level is high chances of baby having complications like anomalies, cataract are present, which is not your case. If you want to be 100% sure, you can opt for cordocentesis/ amniocentesis in liasion with fetal medicine unit.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Blood test shows rubella IgG, rubella IgM. Will there be any complications during pregnancy and will this affect the child? 2 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Please can you re-check; because our consulting doctor is suggesting abortion.
Scnning done after 9 weeks says everything normal. Any special scanning you suggest?
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 26 hours later

Raised IgG suggests past infection/ immunity. IgM suggests recent infection, if it is normal chances of baby having rubella infection are almost nil. In my opinion you should have ultrasound scans at frequent interval and especially at around 18 weeks to look for any congenital anomalies.

Best wishes