Pregnant. Blood report shows low hemoglobin, thyroid problem and urine infection. Will the mother and baby be safe?

May 2013
hi doctor my wife is 8 months pregnant and in recent blood report the result shows a drastic change in Hb which decreases to 8 now from 12.3 in 5th Month of pregnancy, this is my first baby and my doctors are saying that both mother and baby will be in danger during delivery, they refer some medicines and telling me for blood transfusion as well. Also my wife's report showing Thyroid problem and infections in urine with puss cells for which we have already started the medicines. I am really upset and don't understand what is going to happen to my wife and baby. Please suggest.
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Injectable iron supplements Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. With the progression of the pregnancy, due to hemodilution, some amount of decrease in hemoglobin levels can be seen. Up to 10mg/dl can be taken as lower limit of normal level. Hypothyroidism can also contribute to anemia. So the possible steps can be taken are : - Continue thyroid medicines and antibiotics to urinary tract infection. - As she is in 8th month now, better to go for injectable iron supplements for speedy restoration of hemoglobin levels. With your doctor's advice she can go for intravenous administration of iron injections in fluids. With improvement in the hemoglobin level general condition also improves. Don't worry baby can extract its desired hemoglobin even in anemia. As by this time all the vital organs might have been formed, there may not be any major problem. But hemoglobin status must be improved to prevent intrauterine growth retardation etc. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Blood report shows low hemoglobin, thyroid problem and urine infection. Will the mother and baby be safe? 16 days later
Hi doctor what kind of exercises or methods suggested during 8th month in order to have less pain and smooth delivery for my wife as she is feeling lot of pain now a day's near her vergina area. also few days back she notice some greenish discharge, so what does that mean..also how this infection in puss cell can be control and the latest report of blood shows 11.5hb of blood with less iron saturation. what does that mean. pls answer my queries...
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibility of vaginal infection Detailed Answer: Hi, Usually during pregnancy some amount of relaxation of the joints will be present. Doing daily walking for 30 to 45 minutes is recommended for mobilization of the joints. Exercises which strengthen the pelvic floor muscles can be done. But these should be done only with trainer's advice and supervision. As the presenting part of the baby descends with progression of the gestational age, some amount of pressure over the vaginal area is common. But as she is having vaginal discharge, better to rule out the possibility of vaginal infection. Greenish discharge indicates vaginal infection . Sometimes meconium stained liquor can also presents like greenish vaginal discharge, so better to get examined once to rule out these possibilities. Urinary tract infection can be cured by taking course of antibiotics, plenty of oral fluids etc. Low iron saturation indicates iron deficiency anemia. But as compared with her previous report, now there is improvement. By continuing the intake of iron XXXXXXX foods and iron supplements, this can be treated. Take care.